Bulls Gap school evacuated over smoke
A Hawkins County school was evacuated after officials said smoke filled classrooms earlier this morning.
News 5 was there at Bulls Gap School as emergency crews worked to resolve the situation.
Hawkins County Director of Schools Charlotte Britton told us the smoke was caused by a malfunction in electrical wiring in a heating and cooling unit above a sixth grade classroom.
Britton said smoke filtered through the air vents, and the fire alarm went off.
Officials told us all students and staff were safely evacuated, and parents were notified.
"I was scared. My boy was in there and my neighbor's daughter," said Richard Grimes, a parent of a Bulls Gap student.
Britton said though the school day didn't go as planned, procedure worked as planned.
"The practiced emergency plan worked very well at Bulls Gap School. Just last week they had prepared for a fire drill, so the students were very well prepared," Britton said.
Officials said there was no major damage to the building, but fans were put inside to clear out all the smoke.
We're also told all students were fed lunch, as they waited outside.
We’re told Bulls Gap School will be on a regular schedule tomorrow.
Copyright 2013 by WCYB All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.