BRISTOL, Va. - A teacher at Virginia Middle School received a big surprise Tuesday, just in time for teacher appreciation week.
Seventh grade science teacher Tom Heath won one of eight 'Super Teacher' awards in Virginia. The awards are from the Virginia Lottery.
The award came as a complete surprise for Heath, who was greeted with a standing ovation from students and his family.
Heath received a $2,000 cash prize and got another $2,000 to spend on classroom supplies.
We learned Heath's sister wrote the letter describing the type of teacher he is, and he tells us he's thankful and honored to win. "There are so many good teachers here within Bristol, Virginia. It could have been any of us, because I've seen what some of the other teachers do. I know how dedicated they are. It's kind of mixed emotions, because even though I know I've put a lot in, they've put a lot into it too," says Heath.
Heath tells us this will be his last year at the school -- he's moving to Virginia High School to teach advanced biology.
He says he's excited to work with some of the same students again.
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport