ABINGDON, Va. - A local non-profit has some extra money to work with, thanks to a grant from The Virginia Tobacco Commission.
Barter Theatre in Abingdon, Virginia is getting $255,000, but they have to match the grant dollar-for-dollar.
Rick Rose, the theater's Producing Artistic Director, says the money will be a big help in creating jobs0 and adding to the infrastructure of Barter. "We really would like to complete this project within the next year and we would like to begin almost immediately. So we're going to be meeting with partners who are already engaged with us in this grant and some on-going projects," he explained.
The improvements will add jobs and increase programs both at the Barter and in its outreach to the community.
Rose tells us, the grant will help the theater remain a part of the area for years to come.
- Updated State Police: Man killed in Wise County, VA crash
- New Former Derby, Preakness winner Charismatic dies
- Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy