BRISTOL, Va. - Alpha Natural Resources will pay $265 million in a settlement with former Massey Energy investors.
The investors say they were deliberately misled about Massey's safety record, which artificially inflated stock prices.
Alpha bought the company in 2011. The Bristol-based coal producer said Monday that U.S. District gave preliminary approval of the deal.
Shareholders say they had no knowledge of Massey's long history of violations until after the Upper Big Branch mine in West Virginia exploded in April 2010, killing 29 miners.
- New Tri-Cities native auctioning off Battle at Bristol tickets to help Louisiana flood victims
- Kids learn from visit to Appalachian Fair
- Johnson County school kids process accident, victim worsens
- One person flown to hospital after bicycle and truck crash in Jonesborough
- Job fair scheduled for Wednesday in Erwin