BRISTOL, Va. - Alpha Natural Resources will pay $265 million in a settlement with former Massey Energy investors.
The investors say they were deliberately misled about Massey's safety record, which artificially inflated stock prices.
Alpha bought the company in 2011. The Bristol-based coal producer said Monday that U.S. District gave preliminary approval of the deal.
Shareholders say they had no knowledge of Massey's long history of violations until after the Upper Big Branch mine in West Virginia exploded in April 2010, killing 29 miners.
- Kingsport police searching for five sex offenders
- Updated Endangered Child Alert issued for 13-year-old girl
- New ACC moves its championship game to Orlando
- Updated Volvo recalls 44K vehicles; leak can cause air bag problem
- New Fundraiser and concert to be held for John Battle coach who has brain cancer