BRISTOL, Va. - Alpha Natural Resources will pay $265 million in a settlement with former Massey Energy investors.
The investors say they were deliberately misled about Massey's safety record, which artificially inflated stock prices.
Alpha bought the company in 2011. The Bristol-based coal producer said Monday that U.S. District gave preliminary approval of the deal.
Shareholders say they had no knowledge of Massey's long history of violations until after the Upper Big Branch mine in West Virginia exploded in April 2010, killing 29 miners.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash