BRISTOL, Va. - Coal producer Alpha Natural Resources says it plans to eliminate about 230 positions throughout the company as it seeks to reduce costs.
The Bristol, Va.-based company said Thursday that it has developed a plan to further reduce operating and support expenses by at least $200 million in 2014 and beyond.
Alpha Natural Resources says most of the positions it is cutting are salaried. About 100 of those positions are already vacant and will not be filled.
Spokesman Steve Higginbottom says the reductions are part of its effort to better align the company's overhead and corporate support with its reduced operational footprint.
Alpha has mining operations in Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania and Wyoming.
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane