BRISTOL, Va. - Coal producer Alpha Natural Resources says it plans to eliminate about 230 positions throughout the company as it seeks to reduce costs.
The Bristol, Va.-based company said Thursday that it has developed a plan to further reduce operating and support expenses by at least $200 million in 2014 and beyond.
Alpha Natural Resources says most of the positions it is cutting are salaried. About 100 of those positions are already vacant and will not be filled.
Spokesman Steve Higginbottom says the reductions are part of its effort to better align the company's overhead and corporate support with its reduced operational footprint.
Alpha has mining operations in Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania and Wyoming.
- Police: Woman dead following shooting in Sullivan County
- Person of interest identified in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Updated UPDATE: Former Bristol doctor receives probation on tax charges
- New Griffith, Kitts set for showdown in Virginia 9th District debate
- Arby's to sell venison sandwiches in 6 deer-hunting states