BRISTOL, Va. - Bristol, Virginia based Alpha Natural Resources announced the layoffs and the idling of two mines today, Red Onion and Bluff Spur.
We learned this is a part of the restructuring process they announced in September to reduce coal production.
"We always have to analyze our customer demand against what we're producing at our mines and if we have to make further adjustments then we'll have to do that," said Ted Pile, Vice President of Corporate Communications.
Company officials tell us the former employees will be given benefits and pay for 60 days.
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire
- Instantly healing technology tested on human in Kingsport
- Union High School Marching Bears performing in National Memorial Day Parade
- Red Onion inmate, D.C. sniper teen could get new trial