BRISTOL, Va. - Bristol, Virginia based Alpha Natural Resources announced the layoffs and the idling of two mines today, Red Onion and Bluff Spur.
We learned this is a part of the restructuring process they announced in September to reduce coal production.
"We always have to analyze our customer demand against what we're producing at our mines and if we have to make further adjustments then we'll have to do that," said Ted Pile, Vice President of Corporate Communications.
Company officials tell us the former employees will be given benefits and pay for 60 days.
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane
- Neighbors propose traffic mural for Johnson City Tree Streets
- Enjoying record high heat in February
- "Compassion International" exhibition in Gray this weekend