Two-hundred coal miners are out of work after Bristol, Virginia based Alpha Natural Resources idled four coal mines in Kentucky.
Three of the four mines are in the Cumberland community of Harlan County, Kentucky. The fourth is in Letcher County.
Alpha Natural Resources says they made the cuts hoping to streamline operations. Sixty people were offered transfers.
The 200 people out of work will receive pay and benefits for 60-days.
- Updated Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane