Two-hundred coal miners are out of work after Bristol, Virginia based Alpha Natural Resources idled four coal mines in Kentucky.
Three of the four mines are in the Cumberland community of Harlan County, Kentucky. The fourth is in Letcher County.
Alpha Natural Resources says they made the cuts hoping to streamline operations. Sixty people were offered transfers.
The 200 people out of work will receive pay and benefits for 60-days.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day