BRISTOL, Va. - There's more trouble for mine operations this evening.
Eight affiliates of Alpha Natural Resources have notified their employees that coal mines and other facilities could be idled.
Notice has been given to about 1,100 employees at 11 Alpha surface mines in West Virginia, preparation plants, and other support operations.
Reductions in workforce could happen as early as mid-October.
The company is blaming the weak market conditions and government regulations.
- New Video game player dies during non-stop marathon session
- New Correctional workers paint grim picture of Delaware prisons
- Updated 4 charged in death of 9-year-old boy with cerebral palsy
- Carter County robbery suspect captured
- Faculty respond to TBR's 'interim actions' taken at Northeast State Community College