BRISTOL, Va. - There's more trouble for mine operations this evening.
Eight affiliates of Alpha Natural Resources have notified their employees that coal mines and other facilities could be idled.
Notice has been given to about 1,100 employees at 11 Alpha surface mines in West Virginia, preparation plants, and other support operations.
Reductions in workforce could happen as early as mid-October.
The company is blaming the weak market conditions and government regulations.
- Kingsport native identified as victim in Washington state mall shooting
- Local donors, recipients talk about impact of organ and tissue donation
- Bristol Virginia council votes to borrow another three million for The Falls
- Officials hope to get more millennials voting in this presidential election
- Local mental health court to soon hit major milestone