BRISTOL, Va. - There's more trouble for mine operations this evening.
Eight affiliates of Alpha Natural Resources have notified their employees that coal mines and other facilities could be idled.
Notice has been given to about 1,100 employees at 11 Alpha surface mines in West Virginia, preparation plants, and other support operations.
Reductions in workforce could happen as early as mid-October.
The company is blaming the weak market conditions and government regulations.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City
- Volunteer regional crews assisting in search for Matt Ragan on South Holston Lake
- ‘Polar Plunge for Christ' raises money to prevent teen suicide
- MSHA, Wellmont address merger application delays, what's next