BRISTOL, Va. - There's more trouble for mine operations this evening.
Eight affiliates of Alpha Natural Resources have notified their employees that coal mines and other facilities could be idled.
Notice has been given to about 1,100 employees at 11 Alpha surface mines in West Virginia, preparation plants, and other support operations.
Reductions in workforce could happen as early as mid-October.
The company is blaming the weak market conditions and government regulations.
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Lightening strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death