Bristol, TN - Seven-time Top Fuel champion Tony Schumacher ended a 32-race winless streak Sunday in the NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals at Bristol Dragway.
Ron Capps topped the Funny Car field, and Mike Edwards won the Pro Stock competition.
Schumacher beat Doug Kalitta in the final. Schumacher's reaction time was four-hundredths better than Kalitta's, leading to Schumacher's slower but winning 3.819-second pass at 342.28 mph.
In Funny Car, Capps raced to his second win of the season in his sixth final-round appearance in a row since adding veteran turner Rahn Tobler to the team. Capps edged rookie Alexis DeJoria in the final with a 4.076-second pass at 312.35 mph.
Edwards claimed his fourth victory in a row at Bristol Dragway with his holeshot win over local favorite Allen Johnson in the final. Edwards used his better reaction time with his 6.674-second pass at 206.16 mph to beat Johnson's quicker but losing 6.661 at 207.05.
- New Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire
- Instantly healing technology tested on human in Kingsport
- Union High School Marching Bears performing in National Memorial Day Parade
- Red Onion inmate, D.C. sniper teen could get new trial