ABINGDON, Va. - Athletes were running, swimming and biking in Abingdon on Saturday morning.
The Iron Nut Triathlon started in the Harry L. Coombes Recreation Center pool with a quarter mile swim. Athletes then biked 17 miles and ran a 5K.
We're told about 60 people participated, roughly 20 more than last year.
Triathlon coach, and owner of Tri Hard Fitness, Janine Pleasant told us this is good news for her athletes.
"It's growing in popularity, more people are hearing about it so I think it'll continue to grow," she said. "We're getting more events in this area. We have four triathlons in Johnson City this year and there are several in Knoxville."
Becky Bentley was among the athletes. It was her first triathlon, she's lost 110 pounds over the past two years. Bentley told us she can't wait for the next one.
- New Virginia offenders raising tilapia in pilot program
- Police: Son kills father, self in front of wife, mother
- Slain Virginia officer was a father of 3, former Marine
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power