ABINGDON, Va. - Athletes were running, swimming and biking in Abingdon on Saturday morning.
The Iron Nut Triathlon started in the Harry L. Coombes Recreation Center pool with a quarter mile swim. Athletes then biked 17 miles and ran a 5K.
We're told about 60 people participated, roughly 20 more than last year.
Triathlon coach, and owner of Tri Hard Fitness, Janine Pleasant told us this is good news for her athletes.
"It's growing in popularity, more people are hearing about it so I think it'll continue to grow," she said. "We're getting more events in this area. We have four triathlons in Johnson City this year and there are several in Knoxville."
Becky Bentley was among the athletes. It was her first triathlon, she's lost 110 pounds over the past two years. Bentley told us she can't wait for the next one.
- Updated Three injured at Volusia Speedway Park when car crashes into stands
- Updated State Police: Man killed in Wise County, VA crash
- Former Derby, Preakness winner Charismatic dies
- Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake