(CNN) -- Malaysian security forces launched an operation early Tuesday morning targeting "armed intruders" in Lahad Datu on the Malaysian island of Borneo, Malaysia's official Bernama news agency reports. The standoff began last month when more than 100 men from the mainly Muslim southern Philippines came ashore in the Malaysian state of Sabah on Borneo, demanding to be recognized as representatives of a sultanate that has historical claims on the area.
Popular now on WCYB.com
Around The Watercooler
- 63 female skydivers set world record
- Woman sheds 100 pounds for the Army
- 'Tippy the Fainting Squirrel' an online superstar
- Canadian lotto officials track down $50M winner
- Cops: Man stabbed by brother over silverware
- Merriam-Webster's word of the year is ...
- Ghost hunters mistaken for burglars
- Is Pope Francis sneaking out at night?
- 'Angel of 9-11:' Some see face in twisted wreckage