(CNN) -- Tropical Cyclone Phailin made landfall Saturday night in Odisha state, on India's east coast, the director-general of India's meteorological department said. More than 500,000 people were evacuated from vulnerable coastal areas in Odisha and Andhra Pradesh states ahead of the cyclone's arrival.
Popular now on WCYB.com
Around The Watercooler
- Woman sheds 100 pounds for the Army
- 'Tippy the Fainting Squirrel' an online superstar
- Canadian lotto officials track down $50M winner
- Cops: Man stabbed by brother over silverware
- Merriam-Webster's word of the year is ...
- Ghost hunters mistaken for burglars
- Is Pope Francis sneaking out at night?
- 'Angel of 9-11:' Some see face in twisted wreckage
- Jesse Owens' medal bidding tops $200,000