It is a silent killer that is colorless, odorless and could be lurking in your home; carbon monoxide is deadly and you could be using products that produce it.
Helen Page says she had no idea there was anything wrong until she heard the beep that helped keep her from danger. “I just tremble inside, you know," said Page.
Page said she was awoken in the middle of the night and quickly learned it was her carbon monoxide detector warning her of the deadly gas. However, she thought the batteries were going dead and causing the noise.
She took them out and went back to sleep, but she tells us it was not long before the noise came back. "The one that runs by electricity went off and I knew that I had troubles," said Page.
"They had to evacuate the house immediately, and we found high quantities of carbon monoxide," said Bristol's assistant fire chief Jack Spurgeon.
The situation was so bad that her daughter could not stay in the home. "As soon as my daughter walked in, she couldn't breathe or talk. It was so strong," said Page.
For Page, her carbon monoxide detector is what saved her life and assistant Spurgeon says everyone should have one in his or her home. "If you have the appliances that give off the byproducts, then you need to have carbon monoxide detectors and know the proper operation procedures for generators," said Spurgeon.
Spurgeon tells us carbon monoxide is deadly and small amounts cannot be detected by your senses, making the effects of the carbon monoxide harder to catch, especially in the fall and winter months.
"[Symptoms include] headaches, flu-like symptoms, blurred vision," said Spurgeon.
Spurgeon says where you place your generators and other appliances will determine if your home becomes contaminated. "Don't use them in attached garages. Outdoors is where they should be. Place them away from windows so they draft can't come back inside," said Spurgeon.
We also learned page is not the only one who has been affected by carbon monoxide. A family of five in Dickenson County was taken to the hospital Thursday night after high amounts of carbon monoxide were found in their home.
One adult and two children were taken to a local hospital and released, while two other adults were sent to Bristol Regional and then to Holston Valley. Both are receiving treatments and are stable.
Investigators tell us the family was without power and were using their generator in the basement without proper ventilation.
We learned daylight saving time is the best time of year to change the batteries in your detectors.