BRISTOL, Tenn. - November is National Diabetes Awareness Month.
The Bristol Regional Medical Center hosted its 18th annual Diabetes Expo on Saturday, November the 2nd.
They had things on hand to help educate people about the disease, including free health screenings.
Jim Perkins, Assistant Director of Wellmont Diabetes Treatment Center, tells us that the goal is to raise awareness of Diabetes because it has impacted many people in our region.
Perkins says the best way to help reduce the risk of Diabetes is to catch it early.
Some of the symptoms to look out for is thirst, slow to heal from injuries, and loss of sight.
Perkins also says making small changes to your diet and exercise can go a long way in avoiding damages from Diabetes.
- Updated Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane