BRISTOL, Tenn. - November is National Diabetes Awareness Month.
The Bristol Regional Medical Center hosted its 18th annual Diabetes Expo on Saturday, November the 2nd.
They had things on hand to help educate people about the disease, including free health screenings.
Jim Perkins, Assistant Director of Wellmont Diabetes Treatment Center, tells us that the goal is to raise awareness of Diabetes because it has impacted many people in our region.
Perkins says the best way to help reduce the risk of Diabetes is to catch it early.
Some of the symptoms to look out for is thirst, slow to heal from injuries, and loss of sight.
Perkins also says making small changes to your diet and exercise can go a long way in avoiding damages from Diabetes.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day