On this day: October 18
Herman Melville's masterpiece is printed, the U.S. takes possession of Alaska and Puerto Rico, "West Side Story" premieres, and Reggie Jackson goes deep three times in the World Series, all on this day.
Around The Watercooler
- Peacock wanders into Va. woman's home
- Day care suspends girl over cheese sandwich
- Man stopped for DUI was trying to 'drive it off'
- PD: Man attacked for refusing burrito request
- Gambler sues casino for losing big while drunk
- Twitter buys log cabins for cafeteria
- Cats as weapons? In 16th century Germany, yes
- Giant, ancient virus dug up in Siberia
- City to remove ban on being annoying