On this day: October 18
Herman Melville's masterpiece is printed, the U.S. takes possession of Alaska and Puerto Rico, "West Side Story" premieres, and Reggie Jackson goes deep three times in the World Series, all on this day.
Around The Watercooler
- Ghost hunters mistaken for burglars
- Merriam-Webster's word of the year is ...
- Is Pope Francis sneaking out at night?
- 'Angel of 9-11:' Some see face in twisted wreckage
- Jesse Owens' medal bidding tops $200,000
- Colo. woman busted for topless haircuts
- Beloved, officially ugly dog dies
- Couple: Anti-gay note is a fraud
- Famous comet may be in trouble